
Ebola is a disease caused by ebolavirus. Symptoms occur two days to three weeks after contracting the virus. Symptoms; fever, muscle pain, headaches, vomiting, diarrhea, rash. You can contract the virus when you come into contact with infected blood or bodily fluids.
On September 30th, 2014 the Center for Disease Control (CDC) has now confirmed the first case of Ebola in the United States. The patient had visited Liberia the week before and traveled back to Dallas, Texas. Four days later the patient fell ill and is now being treated at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital. On Monday the premises was isolated because the patient was showing signs of the killer virus, Ebola. CDC director, Dr. Tom Frieden, said the patient is "critically ill" but he is confident the virus will not spread farther than the people the patient came in contact with. There is talk about "experimental therapies" used as treatment for the patient, but the article does not go into detail about what they are. They did not release flight information because they did not want to cause a panic and the patient did not show symptoms until four days after the flight. Last Tuesday the patient was confirmed with the strain of Ebola.
After reading this article it really made me nervous. I don't like knowing it's so close to home, I hope that the CDC is able to contain and treat the virus before it spreads anywhere else. Since this virus is so deadly and there is no treatment, it has the possibility of wiping out a high number of people. What is preventing us from finding a treatment since this virus has been around for years? Is there some type of vaccine we can get to prevent getting the disease? It really worries me that we won't be able to stop it in time and there will be an outbreak.
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-ebola-texas-story.html

This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI like how you brought up a lot of valid points and it was extremely informative. Its crazy to think that in such a short time that Ebola has spread so fast across such a large distance. Inlike you I am not nervous about this virus because of where we live. It spread and killed so many In Africa because they are a third world country and are not able to access the stuff we can. I think the fact of the matter is is that we can die from everything that we have and have had arond us for a long time. Ebola is no different. It is just something to talk about at the time and the topic will be something different in awhile.
ReplyDeleteI think Ebola is not something we should take lightly. It is a serious disease and it has to be stopped from being spread. I know how you can get this disease, by coming in contact with body fluids. It is mind blowing to think that this disease got over to the U.S., when many people believed it would not come over here. After a situation like this, we should try and be more prepared in case something was to happen. This disease has killed many people in Africa, because of the sanitation over there. Ebola is a terrible, painful looking disease to have. Me, personally, I am not too concerned on catching this disease because you can only catch it through other peoples blood, eyes, or other body fluids. I am very careful on what I touch and who I come into contact with. I do question, are they letting the people who went to Africa, back into the United States, or are they at least checking to see if they have this disease.
ReplyDeleteThis is just one scary blog you have! I hate how close the Ebola is to us. I want to run away and hide in Antarctica! I hope the cdc can contain Ebola. I can tell you that as long as there's Ebola out there I'm staying single!! Trust nobody! Just like dr northup said about the outbreak of sars in Canada they were able to find microbes years later in the rug I hope it's not the same with Ebola or they might have to burn down the whole quaritie site ! This stuff is super scary!
ReplyDelete